Today, many great football teams got together to celebrate the New Year in the best way that they know how – beating the shit out of each other for the amusements of thousands of red-blooded Americans. Now that the dust has settled, it appears that the 49ers have secured the second seed in the NFC South, meaning they get a bye week the first week of the playoffs. The New Orleans Saints, sadly, were not so lucky. Both the 49ers and the Saints now have a 13-3 record, but the 49ers get the 2nd seed because they had a better record against conference opponents.
But the day wasn’t a loss by any means for the Saints. Drew Brees broke more records, for one.
Brees, who was 28-for-35, finished with a record 468 completions this season, breaking Peyton Manning‘s 2010 mark of 450. He finished the season completing 71.6% of his passes, breaking his own 2009 NFL record 70.6 completion percentage. (source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-01-01/drew-brees-saints-rout-panthers/52320194/1)
- NFC Playoff Picture 2012: 49ers Win Means No Saints Bye (atlanta.sbnation.com)
- 49ers hold off Rams 34-27, clinch No. 2 seed (sfgate.com)
- NFL Playoff Picture 2012: Saints Win, Falcons Rematch Not Yet Ruled Out (atlanta.sbnation.com)
- New Orleans Saints Playoff Scenarios: Mapping out Saints’ Road to Indy (bleacherreport.com)
- Saints get 3rd seed in NFC; San Francisco 49ers get 2nd seed (seven7dayfool.wordpress.com)
- 49ers’ NFC divisional playoff game at Candlestick Park is sold out (mercurynews.com)
- NFL Playoff Picture: 49ers Look To Lock Up No. 2 Seed (bayarea.sbnation.com)